Monday, April 28, 2008

Good Books

I've been meaning to post about a couple of good books recommended to me. Here's what I've gotten out of them.

1) Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo

Thanks to Koryn, who recommended this book on a past post. I already had this book, but hadn't read it.
I think it has good ideas, but over the past week or so, I've stopped stressing about not parenting exactly like they suggest. I think there are definitely good and wise principals to follow, but every family is different and I think there must always be some flexibility for what works best for you.
The author's advice for a good night's sleep revolves around a fairly strict daily routine of feedings. Everyday, feedings are supposed to happen about the same time. I think routine is good for the baby, and we do have a skeleton routine, but everyday is a little bit different according to when he first gets up and what's going on in the day. I thought perhaps if we didn't buckle down and become real strict with the times of his feeding, we wouldn't get results at night. But I've calmed down. I think consistency is the key.


2) Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron

This book is wonderful if you want to make your own baby food and if you're in to nutrition. It's a wonderful reference book! The author assumes you know nothing about cooking and gives much detail about how to cook all kinds of foods. It's cheaper and healthier. She claims her children have never once been sick eating her "super baby food diet." Her kids complain about never getting to stay home from school like other kids 'cause they never get sick, so every once in a while, they play hooky.:)
I'm not sure I'll follow every ingredient suggestion for a meal, such as wheat germ, brewer's yeast, kale... but it's been a great reference for when to feed what and how to make and freeze the food.

I haven't finished reading either book, but continue to pick up both as references.

1 comment:

The VanderZwaags said...

I hope you have a good reason for not blogging! I thought you said you were going to do it at lunch...that was many hours ago!!! Hope you have a great weekend!