Friday, September 14, 2007

Baby's Cradle


You don't hear about babies having cradles anymore. Bassinets are what the stores are selling. But my baby will be sleeping in an old-fashioned, handmade, wooden cradle.
My great grandfather made a cradle for me when I was born. The second picture shows the engraving he put on the bottom of the inside of the cradle. My mom said that by the time he finished it and gave it to her, I was already too big to fit in it. So, 27 years later, it will be used for the first time...for real anyway. I'm sure my dolls slept in it through the years.:)
I'm so excited to be able to use such a precious piece of history! I don't know how many people can say they knew their great grandparents, but I had the privilege of knowing them for many years of my life. And they were sweethearts!
The cradle sits by my bedside - no, there's not a lot of room, but it fits there perfectly! And no, I haven't tripped over it getting out of bed at night - figured I'd better practice for a few weeks before my baby is actually sleeping in it!:)
I'm waiting for that cradle to be filled by my precious baby! Not long now!

No comments: